Last Updated: 5th March 2021
GDEmu Firmware Update
Table of Contents
GDEMU devices are sold fully functional and tested, but the firmware (internal operating software) can be updated by placing a special file on the SD card should a need arise.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT reflash your device at the very first sign of trouble. In 99.99% of cases, the problem is something you did (or didn’t do) and not a FW bug. You can use GDMENU software to check your current FW version. In general, the devices are sold with the lastest one.
IMPORTANT: Devices shipped before 2020 and running on FW older than 5.20.0 require a special update to be applied first. Read the errata page for more details.
The gist of the update process is this:
- Flash the updater FW following the usual instructions on this page.
- Remove the card and power the Dreamcast once, without any card inserted, to let the updater do its work. Wait for the BIOS menu to appear.
- Power off and then insert the 5.20+ FW to flash that, again follow the instructions.
For the procedure to work properly you must closely follow these instructions:
- Extract the firmware file and rename it to “GDEMU.fw”
- Place the file in the root folder of the SD card
- Move the write-protect tab at the side of the card to “Lock” position
- Insert the card into GDEMU socket while Dreamcast is powered off
- Power on the console, status LED will start blinking rapidly
- Wait until the LED blinking pattern changes to 1/2 second on, 1/2 second off
- Power off Dreamcast, remove the card, unlock the tab
- Remove the file from the card to avoid accidental update
IMPORTANT: If at any time during firmware update status LED stays completely on or off, or blinks in an unexpected pattern, it means an error has occurred. Retry the procedure, use a different card if the problem persists.